Thursday, December 16, 2021

Self-Care Appreciation Post (Mental-Health Awareness #1)

 Hi everyone,

Since it is a crazy time where the year is winding down and everyone is getting ready for the holidays, today's post is going to be dedicated to self-care. 

Self-care has always been something I have struggled with. I spend a lot of my time stressing out about school and life that I often don't do things to relax or have fun. 

This past year, I have had a lot happen in my personal life to where I have had to learn to be better at self-care. For months, people in my support system, especially at school, would ask me what I would be doing to take care of myself. I would never have an exact answer to that question. 

This semester, everything kind of just hit me and I did not do as well academically or mentally. I started to notice my depression and mood swings getting worse, I was constantly in a negative mindset (still can be at some point, but we all have our days), and I just was not feeling like myself. Understanding and conveying my emotions has always been somewhat difficult, especially being on the autism spectrum and with nonverbal learning disability(I have gone to therapy for quite a long time to help me understand how to deal with them). 

Now, I have a better understanding of what self-care is for me. I write a lot. I journal and this blog is also a version of my self-care as writing is something I enjoy and am good at. I also go to talk therapy. I learn a lot from going to therapy. At first it's hard, but after awhile it becomes very helpful. 

There are also more fun ways I take care of myself. I go and hang out with friends (get a drink, go and hang out somewhere, etc.). I am a big coffee drinker so having my coffee is another way that I take care of myself. I enjoy being outside, so I go on walks a lot, sometimes I run (I have not been very successful at that lately...haha). I recently got back into my almost lifelong hobby of swimming too. I joined the club swim team at my college, but it did not last long as I had a hard time with the social environment. I hope I can go to the school gym during open swim hours at some point though.

The point is, it is not always easy to take care of yourself, but you might be forced to at some time or another. It should not have to get there. You should always take care of yourself and do something you enjoy! 

I hope you all had an amazing day!

Post in the comments about your favorite self-care activity!




No comments:

Post a Comment

Experiencing College/Grad School Burnout

Hi everyone! It's been awhile since I have posted anything, but I thought now would be a good time to talk about burnout in college/grad...