Sunday, December 19, 2021

Overwhelming Social Situations and Overcoming Them

 Today I am gonna be talking about peer pressure and social situations as someone with an invisible disability. People with invisible disabilities are often in a unique spot when it comes to social situations. If you are like me, you cannot totally get through to your typical peers at times, but you cannot always understand your other friends with disabilities either, making it harder to know where your place is in the world. 

Growing up, and even now, it has always been hard for me to communicate to my more "typical" peers. Some have seen me as too "anti-social" or "shy" and others get to know me and understand how to work with my differences. Nowadays, I notice peer pressure occurring more than I ever did. The first time I drank in college was from peer pressure and not wanting to be different in that moment. I have been to a few parties and most everyone there wanted to get drunk. I was never okay with that and I got made fun of for it. My peers who understand me know I am not a huge partier or drinker (I'll have one every once in a while) and they are accepting of that. 

I understand the concept of "getting loose" and I am getting better at knowing what that is for myself, especially seeing as I am a senior in college. It means that I can have fun if I want to but I have to know my limits and boundaries in certain situations. If it is a party or gathering and there are too many people, I often will get overwhelmed and need to leave. If I am out having drinks with friends, I always make sure to drink water and know the amount that I need to stop at. I tend to enjoy more low-key settings (a small bar or restaurant). 

When it comes to communicating and hanging out with my peers that also have a disability, that can be a hard social situation as well. If I or one of my friends doesn't understand something, it can make it hard to have a conversation. The situation can then become overwhelming for both people involved. 

One thing I have learned from social situations is to always set boundaries and know what I am comfortable with. 

What are some social situations that have made you feel a bit awkward? Post comments in the comments section. 

I am wanting to gather ideas for future blog posts, so if you or anyone has any ideas, feel free to post those ideas in the comments as well!






No comments:

Post a Comment

Experiencing College/Grad School Burnout

Hi everyone! It's been awhile since I have posted anything, but I thought now would be a good time to talk about burnout in college/grad...