Monday, March 18, 2024

Experiencing College/Grad School Burnout

Hi everyone!

It's been awhile since I have posted anything, but I thought now would be a good time to talk about burnout in college/graduate school.

I am in my second year of my graduate studies now (and am almost done with one more semester to go). This semester has been challenging in many ways...

First off, at the beginning of the semester, I had a class with a person that I am not comfortable being around. I spent the first half of the semester trying to figure out my emotions in the situation and how to deal with it. Being that I have a hard time socially in general (partially because of my NVLD), having a class with someone I hoped to never see again was quite a surprise to me. As for the class itself, that's come with a whole other list of things that are difficult. 

Second, I started my research internship, which is a necessary step for me to take in order to get my master's degree in sociology. This has been a new and unique learning experience for me! I am learning what it is like to interview research participants in my study (ethically) and how to apply the skills I have learned throughout my time in the sociology graduate program. 

With all that being said, I have developed some burnout! This is when someone starts to lack motivation to do some of the tasks they may have. Being that I am in a class that has been difficult for me, I have lacked motivation myself with doing the assignments for that class. I have still done them, it has just taken me longer than normal because my motivation is just not there. 

Some things that help me with this includes listening to music (I like to be able to get in the zone). If I have a lot of energy to where I cannot focus, I go workout. Sometimes I'll use my rusty swimming skills and hit the pool or I will go for a jog outside. Being that I live in Colorado, the weather this time of year is unpredictable and that can be hard. I hope this provides you with ways to help when you are burned out. This can pertain to work or school. 

Anyways, that's my update. I hope you all enjoy it!

Caitlin.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Experiencing College/Grad School Burnout

Hi everyone! It's been awhile since I have posted anything, but I thought now would be a good time to talk about burnout in college/grad...