Tuesday, December 14, 2021

Introducing Me!


 Hi everyone,

My name is Caitlin. I am a second-semester senior at the University of Northern Colorado in Greeley, Colorado. I am writing this blog to showcase (a) what it is like to live and be a person with an invisible disability or a disability in general and (b) to provide a space where any individual can learn about what it is like living with a disability and can ask questions about it! 

I was born 13 weeks early (at 27 weeks) and weighed two pounds and half an ounce. I was also born with a traumatic brain injury (I had grade III/IV bleeds in my brain). My family was told that I would never read, write, walk, or talk. I am also on the autism spectrum and am diagnosed with nonverbal learning disability. Growing up, I was told by several people that I would never accomplish anything or be successful.

Now, I am a senior in college, majoring in communication studies and minoring in sociology. I am a senator for my college on student senate and mentor other students with disabilities at my college. It was not easy to get to this point. I had lots of help along the way, especially from my family. Being told "I can't" or "I won't" increases my motivation to be success and prove all those people wrong. I would not be who or where I am today without everyone in my support system believing in me!

I am always open to hear other people's stories (successes or struggles) as we all have something to say! I can't wait to share more about my experiences and hear from others as well!

Until next time!

Caitlin.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Experiencing College/Grad School Burnout

Hi everyone! It's been awhile since I have posted anything, but I thought now would be a good time to talk about burnout in college/grad...