Wednesday, December 29, 2021

Living On My Own (College Life Series #3)


Hey everyone,

Today, I will be talking about my apartment and how it is going for me living on my own (during the school year). 

There comes a point in college (for some) where living on campus just isn't it anymore. I hit that point after being a resident assistant during the 2020-2021 school year. 

This school year, I was able to get my own studio apartment that's a five minute walk from campus. It has a kitchenette, full size bed, a walk-in closet with a washer and dryer inside, a desk to study, and a bathroom. I chose to decorate it with western and southwestern decorations (It is more decorated now than when those photos were taken). 

Transitioning From Being an RA and Living On Campus to Moving Off-Campus

When I lived on campus, I was constantly surrounded by other people, whether they were other RA's, residents, or hall directors. There was always someone to hang out with or something to do. 

Now, living off campus, I have to come up with ideas to keep myself busy (when I don't have schoolwork) because my friends can't always hang out. We all have busy lives. Luckily, I live right down the street from The Blue Mug (my favorite coffee shop in Greeley), a smoothie shop, and central campus, so I am surrounded by quite a bit of things to do. I go to The Blue Mug quite a bit to get coffee and study. 

I have gotten used to the fact that I am not surrounded by people constantly. It can be very difficult as times seeing as I was so involved as an RA on campus, but it is also really nice to have my own space to go to when I want to be alone. There are pros and cons to it, but for the most part it is good. 

Almost Having to Find a New Apartment

Early in the semester, Greeley almost shut down the complex I live at due to them not paying their bills to the city. This had all the residents/UNC students in chaos. It was around midterms, so trying to find a new place to live was impossible. Luckily, the issue was solved and everyone still lives at the complex. 

Staying Clean and Organized

Keeping my room cleaned and organized has always been something I struggle with (my room at home is not very clean right now haha). Once it gets somewhat disorganized, I struggle with thinking about how to reorganize it and then I put cleaning off due to my frustration. 

I recently started making a list for myself of chores I have to get done around the apartment. Sometimes, it doesn't get done for awhile, but it will eventually. I usually have two to three things for every couple of days that I try to work on. Dishes and laundry are always almost a constant, so they are always on that list. Creating this list has helped me stay somewhat organized around my apartment. I have been pretty successful with being in my own place. 

Tell me your thoughts and how you keep organized. Feel free to always comment in the comments section. 

Hope you all are having a great week!

Caitlin

1 comment:

  1. Hello, I have a 14 year old daughter who doesn't want to talk about being on the spectrum or having NVLD. She is depressed a lot of the time. I am struggling. I don't know to help her. She takes any attempt to support as me saying she is broken...Parenting is so hard. i try to make guidelines to keep her doing healthy habits but all she wants to do is screens. she sneaks them..... HOW did you gain so much motivation?

    ReplyDelete

Experiencing College/Grad School Burnout

Hi everyone! It's been awhile since I have posted anything, but I thought now would be a good time to talk about burnout in college/grad...